Wednesday, March 25, 2009

On the Solemnity of the Annunciation...


Here is what our kitchen table looks like for this Solemnity of the Annunciation of the Angel Gabriel to Our Lady:

The image is of Our Lady of Guadalupe, and I have this frame and the vase of flowers sitting above my kitchen sink at all times to remind me to be humble and gracious in my daily life. The idea for the candle with the image of the baby Jesus inside came from here, and the cake is just a simple yellow cake with "Yes!" written on top, to remind us of Mary's "yes" to God. 

And just a brief caveat: If all you have done today is explain to your children the significance of this Solemnity, then don't worry about it, that's enough! Maybe add in an Angelus for mealtime or say a decade of the Rosary, but the rest is just icing on the cake :) 

1 comment:

Right Said Red said...

Thanks Kat for this post. I'm so impressed with the cake! And where did you get that candle? I went to the website but gave it a quick look-see and couldn't find the baby Jesus candle. Please give more details.

I was inspired by your post to head out for a last minute run to the bakery and we purchased some cupcakes for the kids. We talked about the annunciation today, and I then told the kids they were eating cupcakes because it was a very important feast. Believe me, if they get some cake, they don't seem to forget about the importance of the day! Thanks for the inspiration. Maybe next year we will have the time to make a "yes" cake!